PMDD treatment has the chief objective to relief symptoms and alleviate the suffering associated with this disease.
At this instant, there is really no cure to completely eradicate the
disease and therefore treatment is based on targettting specific
symptoms to improve the quality of life and restore social
There are general conservative measures which could be used and symptom-specific treatments which are prescription medications.
These treatment options are similar to PMS treatment.
A brief listing of the treatment options include
General Conservative Measures
- Exercise: This will have general beneficial effects such as relief of tension, anxiety and stress.
- Diet: Increase in whole grain consumption, including vegetables.
- Little or no salt, alcohol and caffeine.
- Relaxation techniques:
Relieving stress and anxiety is an important component of treatment.
This will further help minimize social relationship tension. Common
techniques include meditation and muscle relaxation.
- Herbal therapy:
Chasteberry fruit has been used by some women to obtain with some
relief from PMS symptoms. As in other herbal therapies, more study is
required to provide unequivocal medical evidence for this for safety and
effectiveness. Other hers used for PMS include black Cohosh,St John’s
wort and Evening primrose oil.
- Vitamin B6(up to 100 mg/day) might also have a small benefit for women with mild PMS. No more than 100 mg of vitamin B6 should be taken per day.
Specific Prescription Medications
Most of the major PMDD symptoms will require a doctor’s evaluation, treatment prescriptions and follow-up.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs. SSRIs are a highly effective treatment for the symptoms of PMDD especially PMS depression. These require medical prescription.
- Birth control pills.
PMDD symptoms reduce in some women who are put on the pill. However, a
small number of women have actually had more pronounced symptoms with
theser pills. The pills prevent the hormonal processes leading to
mensrual flow. An example is Yaz( ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone) is
approved for use in treatment in the US.
- Other treatments
that could be prescribed include Gonadotropin-releasing hormone
agonists and danazol. Remember that these are prescription medications and are given to treat specific symptoms.
Return from PMDD Treatment To PMDD
Return From PMDD Treatment To Menstruation home